By Stephanie Bunker
Moapa Valley Progress
Logandale and Overton Volunteer Fire Stations 73 and 74 responded to a call about a fire on Hannig Street in Logandale at about 12:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 29. The fire affected three properties owned by the Bowlers, the Lewises, and the Robinsons.
Clark County Fire Department officials were unable to determine the official cause of the fire. But people on the scene at the time said that the fire was started by a neighbor cleaning up and burning weeds on one property in the area. The small fire then got out of control.
Thanks to a handful of residents, however, the fire did not damage any homes in the area. The fire burned very close to the home of Glen Lewis who was at work in Las Vegas at the time.
“If it weren’t for the locals that helped out in the beginning, it would have been much worse than it was,” Lewis said, “I want to thank my son and a handful of others.”
Some neighbors noticed the fire and woke up Lewis’ son, Joshua to alert him of it. The fire came within about ten feet of Lewis’ house before it was stopped by neighbors. Mainly trees and vegetation were burned in the fire. A small RV trailer was also destroyed in the blaze and a storage shed was partially burned, Lewis said.
It took eight volunteer fire fighters to finally put out the flames, according to CCFD Rural Coordinator Assistant Chief Mike Johnson.
Deputy Fire Chief, Russ Cameron, who is a resident of Logandale was on the scene as well to help supervise volunteer efforts.